Overview: This position unifies the roles of software DEVelopment and Information Technology OPerationS – hence the name DevOps Engineer.
Development activities are focused on planning, coding, building, and testing information technology solutions. Operations actives are focused on monitoring, deploying, releasing, and operating information technology solutions.
- Manual deploying to lower environments (edited)
- Manual handover sanity checks
- Providing developer log files
- User access to relevant applications
- Merging developer code
- Being the “DevOps contact”
- Patching (process has been created) (edited)
- Supporting production issues
- Automating processes
o tools for Devs to retrieve log files
o APIs to add nodes to load balancer
- Training teams to push buttons themselves
- Automating handover sanity check
- Automating environment refreshes
- Updating Nexus
- Converting to Ansible
- Updating Jenkins and clean up
o single build for all branches
o snapshot deployment or Jenkins deploy to automatic pull latest, currently one must select a version to deploy
o ephemeral Jenkins slaves
o Pipeline jobs for Jenkins
o Build Jenkins from ground up with push of button in case of DR
- Switch to Gitlab or upgrade Github to newer version
- Templates for Rundeck jobs instead creating multiples
- Create auto refresh jobs for Jenkins and Rundeck
- Automate environment tracking sheets
- Completely automating patches – or go containers and eliminate patching
- Build all tools from Push of button from Disaster Recovery.
- Lock down Chef (remove knife access from individual users)
- Create pipelines to check link and upload to server
- Update Chef to version that is supported
- Standardize DevOps Tools – LDAP or SSO authentication, simple Playbooks/Docker files to rebuild each tool
- Create and enforce development standards for DevOps
- Cleanup Terraform to make more efficient (create DNS after Chef failure, increment server better, etc)
- 5+ years of experience in the DevOps space
- Relevant work experience should include Chef, Ruby, Linux, and Terraform. The work includes setup work, build and deploy, environment validation, Cybersource and PayPal account setup, and management support for offshore Development and QA.
- Must be able to manage configs in Chef and have some ability to code in Ruby. Most of the work is external account setup, running Jenkins jobs for stat/stop/deploy/build, manually running through build instructions (Hybris import and screen-based processes), and accurately following validation steps to deliver high quality environment for QA.
- Excellent written and oral communications
- Good understanding of Agile development methods (continuous integration, scrum)